Sunday, July 10, 2011

Top 10 TV Shows

More Top 10 lists? Lame, I know. But that's what this world has come to. Thanks for nothing, Obama. Here are my Top 10 TV Shows of All-Time:

#10. Late Night with Conan O'Brien
It was better than Conan. It was better than The Tonight Show. It was Conan's first sketch-comedy talk show, Late Night with Conan O'Brien. I grew up watching Conan. I was watching him long before I was old enough to understand all of his jokes. When I was pretty young I turned it on every night before I went to bed. When I got a little older I started taping it every night during my summers. Lots of memories here. I'm glad Conan still has a talk show but Late Night was definitely his golden age.

#9. The Office
The Office used to be much higher on my Top 10 TV Shows list. Unfortunately, after season five it has pretty much gone to shit. And with the loss of Steve Carell it is bound to only get worse. Still, the first five seasons were comedy gold and it deserves a spot on my list.

#8. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Aqua Teen Hunger Force is another priceless treasure that has turned into a giant nutty turd. I was really into Aqua Teens for its first few seasons. Everything that came out of Master Shake's mouth was hilarious. But how long can you really keep a show with no storylines going? I continue to watch the show and continue to be disappointed. But Aqua Teens heyday will always be symbolic for a much better time in my life.

#7. Beavis & Butt-head
It was hard not to put Beavis & Butt-head in my Top 5 TV Shows but that is just the way it worked out. It is truly one of the greatest TV shows of all-time. I remember always watching it on MTV at my grandma's late at night because she had cable. Rumor has it Beavis & Butt-head are supposed to be returning and I am skeptical. I hate when TV shows are brought back after being taken off the air because they are never the same. But let's hope for the best. We don't want it to be mutilated like Family Guy.

#6. Frisky Dingo
Another Adult Swim show makes my list, and it is probably the strangest of them all. The writing and timing on Frisky Dingo is nothing short of perfect. The characters are all great and even after viewing each episode several times they still make me laugh. That is something that is not easy to do so I salute the team behind this excellent show. I just wish they had done more than two seasons. Who knows where they'd end up taking it?

#5. Seinfeld
Seinfeld is the only sitcom worthy of my list. It had some of the best writing and acting ever in television. I'm not a fan of Jerry's stand-up but he and Larry David know how to write a damn good show. The characters are so real and entertaining you just wish you could hang out with them. If only it had gone on for a few more seasons. It was great for its entire run.

#4. The Simpsons
The Simpsons are the most iconic family in television and it's not hard to see why. The first ten seasons of the series were perfect with incredibly well-written stories and hilarious characters. Then for some reason the writing just became terrible after that. Things just became way too stupid and they began doing the same stories over and over. How many damn times have Bart and Lisa had their first crush? It is hard to keep a series going for over ten seasons. Unlike South Park, The Simpsons just couldn't make it past the number ten landmark. Now in their twenty-something season the show has just become unwatchable. But I will still take The Simpsons over Family Guy any day.

#3. Trailer Park Boys
Character acting doesn't get much better than this, folks. At number three is the hit Canadian series Trailer Park Boys. I am not blessed with much in life, but I am god damn blessed for discovering this show. I am not big on drug humor but somehow these guys just pull it off. Every episode for its seven season run is a masterpiece. If you have not seen this show go watch it for fucksakes.

#2. The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show
Did you really think I wasn't going to include Looney Tunes in some form? The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show aired on Saturday mornings for over a decade before ABC decided to start fucking with the minds of children who need Bugs Bunny in their lives. Now kids have to grow up without experiencing the greatest cartoons ever created. It has truly become a sad world. I'd hate to know what it's like being a kid and growing up on the trash that's on TV today. If taking these cartoons off the air isn't a sign of the Apocalypse I don't know what is. Hopefully one day Looney Tunes will return regularly to television so the next generation doesn't turn out completely retarded.

#1. South Park
Who didn't see this coming? The number one TV show of all-time is, of course, South Park. It is the bravest, most thought provoking, and hilarious series that has ever been or ever will be. In its fifteenth season, the show's writing is as strong as ever; a truly amazing feat. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are comedic geniuses of the most divine and I can only hope the South Park boys keep entertaining us for years to come.

- Ryan

10. Curb Your Enthusiasm
9. Eastbound and Down
8. Check It Out! With Dr. Steve Brule
7. The Simpsons
6. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
5. The Office
4. Seinfeld
3. Trailer Park Boys
2. The Walking Dead
1. South Park

No comments:

Post a Comment